Aston Martin's upgraded AMR22 endured a tough start to life at the Spanish Grand Prix, the team coming home without points for the fourth time in six races this year
The upgraded Aston Martin AMR22 had a difficult start to life at the Spanish Grand Prix, with the team finishing without points for the fourth time in six races this season after both drivers failed to qualify. The team left no stone unturned, offering Vettel a challenging two-stop strategy that saw him go the longest on the soft compound tyre of anyone in the opening stint. Vettel climbed into the top ten, but he couldn't maintain his position after his strategy was tested, and he finished 11th. Accusations of mimicking Red Bull, according to Aston Martin tech chief Andrew Green, are "broad of the mark." "Everyone's tyres were falling apart, and a lot of drivers pitted early," he explained. "So we tried something different by going for a two-stopper." "In the end, I don't think it made a significant difference." Finally, we lacked a little too much speed to truly target the points-scoring areas."
Last week, Aston Martin's enhancements were the talk of the town.
The better news is that Vettel confirmed the team's upgrades – which raised eyebrows in the paddock on Friday after Red Bull Team Principal Christian Horner drew attention to the uprated car's resemblance to his own team's RB18 – have taken them in "a better direction for the future," which will be crucial given their six points from the first six races. Stroll's afternoon ended in disappointment when he was knocked into a spin by Pierre Gasly's AlphaTauri, with the Frenchman receiving a time penalty for the incident, which he accepted responsibility for. "It was a difficult race," the Canadian stated, "albeit it was basically concluded by my collision with Pierre when I overtook him." "We had to pit and inspect the car, which took up to 30 seconds." After a'super-tough' race, Gasly accepts full responsibility for Stroll's crash in Spain, but Tsunoda is content with a point.
Contact with Gasly hampered Stroll's race.
Lewis Hamilton said he was not defeatist after fighting back from the back of the grid to finish fifth in the Spanish Grand Prix.
Hamilton radioed Mercedes engineer Pete Bonnington shortly after returning to the track in 19th place to recommend that the team spare the engine on his vehicle.
Bonnington told Hamilton that the team's predictions suggested an eighth-place result or better was conceivable, therefore they should keep going.
I was thinking, "Why don't we just save the engine and fight another day?"
"It's been challenging all around since the last race of the year," Hamilton remarked.
It seemed a lot like some of the previous days, older races that I've done, to start the race today positive and then have that trouble [at the start], but then to come back.
Ferrari has played down the significance of Mercedes' performance in Sunday's Spanish Grand Prix.
The W13's performance caused Mercedes team chief Toto Wolff to declare that the team had the fastest race vehicle on Sunday and that the team's confidence in its ability to win the championship this year had been revived.
However, Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto claims that Mercedes' competitive performance must be viewed in context, and that the German carmaker is still no faster than the Maranello outfit was in 2021.
They finished 30 seconds or more behind Red Bull, and Charles [Leclerc] could have been 40 seconds behind them.
Ferrari Team Principal Mattia Binotto Alexander Trienitz took the photo. While Binotto isn't getting too excited about Mercedes' current position, Red Bull is aware of the Brackley-based team's potential.
"I think it illustrates how rapidly things can swing," Horner remarked of the turnaround between Red Bull and Ferrari.
Formula 1 boss Ross Brawn insists Lewis Hamilton has no intention of retiring
Ross Brawn, the managing director of Formula One, does not believe Lewis Hamilton, the seven-time World Champion, is considering retirement.
However, a poor performance from his Mercedes W13 during the first six rounds has put him out of contention for the championship, with the Briton currently ranked P6 in the standings.
Brawn, on the other hand, feels Hamilton is still focused on winning his seventh championship, which would put him above of Michael Schumacher.
I'm very sure he wants to win his seventh championship, if not this year, then next year, as seems inevitable.
"That's the message I'm getting from the team, whereas George is taking a more traditional route...
and Lewis is attempting to address the issue.
Traffic problems at the Spanish Grand Prix
Formula One has encouraged officials at the Spanish Grand Prix to resolve major traffic issues that emerged over the weekend in Barcelona.
The race was nearly sold out over the weekend, with over 120,000 spectators flocking to the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya for the Spanish Grand Prix on Sunday.
This caused major traffic congestion as fans attempted to leave the circuit, while the neighbouring Montmelo train station experienced an unexpectedly large number of passengers, causing considerable delays in returning to Barcelona city centre.
"The massive number of supporters at this event both inside and outside the circuit generated traffic concerns for the fans," Formula 1 said in a statement.
The popularity of the Spanish Grand Prix has grown in recent seasons, with the devoted 'Orange Army' of Max Verstappen followers slowly increasing in Barcelona year after year, along with the appeal of having two home heroes in Fernando Alonso and Carlos Sainz.
Formula One's Monaco Grand Prix is at risk of being axed from the calendar, reports say
According to reports, Formula One's prestigious race in Monaco is in danger of being dropped off the schedule, amid concerns that the event has starting to lose its lustre.
The Sun reports that the sport may have outgrown the circuit.
The scenario is made even more perplexing by the fact that Monaco does not pay F1 any fees for the right to conduct a race on a yearly basis.
Because the season is now limited to only 24 races, it is possible that the famed harbourside motor race will be dropped from the schedule.
According to the Sun, F1 wanted to keep the race despite the deteriorated circuit since contracts were typically settled upon over dinner in the principality.